Got a Life Hack?
- Drop by Unsorted life hacks and add your hack to the list.
 Want a Life Hack?
- Browse through Category:Life hacks.
 What is a Life Hack?
- solution to an everyday problem or frustration, in the manner programmers have resolved their technical bugs. --gochess
- Danny O'Brien said:
- Life hacks popped out of an ongoing discussion Iâ€™d been having with people about â€œsecret softwareâ€ - the scripts that geeks write for themselves to get them through the day.
- You usually donâ€™t hear about these mini-programs, because theyâ€™re not the sort of thing that you either build up into commercial software, or spend the effort tidying up to release as open source. Theyâ€™re just too personal to the coder who wrote them.
- I had this theory, though, that if you talked to enough people about this software, youâ€™d be able to see some connections, some commonalities that would indicate problems that hardcore computer users were repeatedly attempting to solve.
- I did a really unscientific poll of a few of these people, asked all kinds of personal questions, and sat in front of a dining room table and piled up index cards until I thought I saw a few patterns. It turned out it was more than just common software projects; a lot of people used their computers in similar ways. Those were the habits I described in the original Life Hacks talk, which was about a year ago now, at the last Emerging Tech.
- Cory Doctorow did a great summary of it, though if youâ€™re all down with the podcast and ting, thereâ€™s audio and video of a later version here. [Ed: audio only for the Life Hacks talk doesn't exist]
- I gave the talk a few times and kept changing as I learnt new things.
- Source: Lifehacker.com