- Blackout Box -- similar in concept to the "Sick Box", but for when the power goes out, kept in a place that is easy to get to in the dark. Mine has candles, matches, a flashlight, a battery-powered radio, and spare batteries. Scrim 17:26, 7 Apr 2005 (EDT)
- You might want to consider flashlights and radios from Freeplay, the originators of the original hand-crank radio. No Batteries!!
- You might also want to consider one of those rechargable flashlights that plugs into the wall and lights up whenever power goes out or it is pulled from the wall. And put your blackout box near by.
- Another no-battery flashlight sold by ThinkGeek is this flashlight which depends on the Faraday principle - shake it and it provides light for up to 5 minutes.
- Also remember to refresh the batteries from time to time - they do expire! Also remember to remove the batteries from anything left unused for months at a time - old (and useless) batteries can and do leak.